Saturday, March 3, 2007

International, Native Students Learn Languages from Each Other

Originally published on March 1, 2007

The diversity on campus is one of Cal State East Bay’s best features. Not only do we see a wide range of individuals from the Bay Area, but we also have a lot of International students that live on campus as well.

Ever wonder what it must be like to be in a different country to study in your second language? Students who study abroad learn and experience many things that can’t be taught in a classroom.

If you’ve always had an interest in perhaps studying abroad, or have been curious about the experience, why not ask a fellow CSUEB student on campus about it?

CSUEB has set up an American Language Speaking Partners Program to have International students meet native English speakers to help them with their English. I found out about this program because I was taking a foreign language class and that’s where they try to recruit volunteers. The idea is that you help them with their English, and they in turn can help you practice the language that you are taking.

There was a time when I was an International student, too, but because I’m Chinese and grew up in Canada, students and teachers were confused when I spoke English fluently because they assumed I came from China. Teachers also find it odd that I also speak Mandarin and Cantonese as well as I do, growing up in a country where speaking English and French were as important as graduating high school. Languages have always been fascinating to me, not only because I like being able to understand people from different countries, but because I learn about the history and the culture of that language.

During my International orientation, I noticed that most students were very shy and that they kept to their group of friends or would hang around other groups that spoke the same language. I approached and befriended a group of students from Kosovo who were sitting in a corner. They told me afterward that they immediately knew I wasn’t from China and I definitely wasn’t an American, because they have never had either approach them just to be friendly.

I was a bit confused as to why they would say that. I understand shy people find it difficult to approach new people. There are a lot of people on campus who are outgoing, but why aren’t they approaching different students? I know that if I were in a different country, I would be very grateful if people made an effort to approach me just to say hello.

When I first started here as a student, I wasn’t aware of any language programs, but it would have been nice to see students take an active role in helping foreign students get acclimated.

The Speaking Partners Program is coordinated by Jessie Wu, who can be reached at alp.csueb.sp@gmail.com or 510-885-2358 for questions or applications. Applicants are then paired up with an International student based on language interest. Once you received an email with your partner’s contact information, it’s up to you and your partner to meet each other once a week to get some conversation practice.

I didn’t really sign up so much to get help in a language, but I figured this was an easy way to meet new students who I might not normally bump into. They all live on campus at Pioneer Heights or the International House, but how often would a Bay Area resident wander over there to make new friends?

Even though you are signing up to help out a fellow student with their English, I find it just as rewarding to make a new friend and learn about their culture and their points of view. As diverse as the Bay Area is, people tend to cling to their own cliques and friends. It doesn’t hurt to branch out once in a while and meet someone new and different.

Sophia is a communications major whose next step is to learn more Spanish and start taking Japanese.

No comments: